Paneer is a fresh un-aged cheese which is made by curdling milk; using acid like lime juice,vinegar, alum. The by-product after making paneer at home is liquid- called WHEY. Sometimes we discard this liquid but it is actually very rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals. This is the liquid which is commercially dried to get whey powder or protein powder.
- 500 ml of milk
- 10 ml butter / ghee
- 1 tea spoon cumin seeds
- Sal and black pepper (as per taste)
- 2 cups Paneer Whey
- 0.5 cups chopped tomato
- 2 cups finely chopped cilantro, spinach,carrots, peppers (any vegetables of your choice)
- Half a slice of apple (Optional)
- 1 cup Paneer shavings (optional)
Making whey (Step 1)
Boil half a liter of milk. Add in few drops of lemon/vinegar and immediately turn off the flame. The milk then curdles. Strain the solution using a strainer or cheese cloth, such that you get crumbled paneer pieces and a liquid.
Soup preparation (Step 2)
- Use this whey liquid as a stock.
- Pour it into a pan.
- Add it all the vegetables of your choice and let it boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the flame.
- Blend this into a puree.
- Take same pan melt 10 ml of butter or ghee
- Add cumin seeds
- Pour in this puree and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and crumbled paneer.
- Garnish with cilantro and lemon juice.
- Serve hot.