Som Tam – A green papaya salad so flavorful and combines all four tastes – sour, spicy, sweet and salty.
- Raw papaya -1 lb
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves
- Shallots – 2 small
- Shredded Carrot -(Optional)
- Cherry tomatoes (Optional)
- Lime -1
- Soya sauce- 1 tb
- Chili paste -1 tb (soak the dry red chilies)
- Chopped coriander -1 tablespoon
- Xylitol or agave nectar or honey or brown sugar- 1 teaspoon or as per taste
- Lemon juice – 1 tb
1. First wash, peel and cut or shred the raw papaya like noodles or julienne.
2.Take a mortar pestle. Add in ginger, garlic, shallots, crush nicely.
3.Now add in soya sauce, lemon juice sweetener and dried red chilies (soaked in water). Crush lightly to release the heat.
4.Take a bowl of shredded papaya, carrots, tomatoes. Now add in this dressing from mortar. Also use the pestle to push the mixture down so that the it is coated and mixed well.
5. Add crushed peanuts over the salad.
6.Garnish with fresh basil or cilantro whatever is available.