My little one is always asking me for candies and chocolates these days. So I thought of satiating her sweet tooth by making this traditional Indian candy bars with sesame and jaggery. This traditional bar is famous for its taste, crispiness and aroma.
Sesame Jaggery Bars
- Sesame seeds – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1/3 cup
- Coconut flakes- 2 tablespoons
- Cardamom (As per taste optional)
- Ghee – For greasing ( 1 tablespoon)
- Heat a non-stick pan, add the sesame seeds and dry roast on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in the same pan, add jaggery, cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame, add the roasted sesame seeds and cardamom powder and mix well.
- When the mixture is ready, put the entire mixture over the a parchment paper. Spread with spatula. Pour in coconut flakes, Cover with another parchment paper and roll it out thinly using rolling pin.
- Cut pieces using a sharp knife.
- Allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, store in an air-tight container.
Savory Rice and millet crisipies
- Puffed Rice roasted 2 cups
- Puffed millets 2 cups
- Peanuts (with skin) 1/4 cup
- Coconut Oil 1 tablespoon
- Mustard or cumin seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves 10-15
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Pour in peanuts and cook them till they turn aromatic and brown. Take them out.
- Add mustard or cumin seeds and turmeric powder.
- When the seeds crackle add curry leaves and saute till the curry leaves become crisp.
- Add puffed rice, millets and mix well.
- Add salt, fried peanuts and mix well.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.