Eyes are the windows to the soul. Let’s train our eyes to see well. In this fast pace life where we take care of everything sometimes we miss to take care of the most precious things- EYES. Thanks to the technology and smart phones. No offense please- I am also the victim. It can lead to so called “Computer Vision Syndrome.” – Eye soreness, dry eyes, dizziness, and blurry vision, headaches and muscle strain. Here are few of the home remedies, exercise and tips to take care of our eyes. All are based on my personal experience. Don’t skip the appointments with your Ophthalmologist .
Almond, Mishri (crystallized sugar), and Fennel Seeds
- Fennel Seeds
- Rock Sugar or Rock candy/Crystallized Sugar lumps- Mishri
Method: Take equal amount of almond, Fennel seeds, and mishri. Pulse them in a food blender and grind to make a fine powder. Store this mixture in an airtight container. This mixture can be consumed every day morning and night two times daily with milk preferably but I take with lukewarm water as I avoid milk. This tastes so yum. Kids love it.
Liquorice(Mulethi)- Ghee- honey
- Liquorice powder- ½ teaspoon
- Ghee- ¼ tsp
- Honey- 1 tsp
Method: Mix everything together and take with 1 cup of milk on an empty stomach. Liquorice is considered valuable in the treatment of myopia.
Triphala Powder: I can swear by this
- Organic triphala powder
- Distilled or filtered water
- Muslin cloth or some other effective fine filter to strain the liquid through.
Method:Take a tablespoon of triphala powder and soak in water for overnight (I use glass container). Next morning, strain and sieve the solution and rinse your eyes with this water. I drink rest of the mixture.
TIP: Also when I make Channa masala ( Garbazno beans). To add the dark black tinge instead of tea bags I add this powder while boiling.
Note: Start adding more greens, dark Leafy Greens in the diet. The carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin are primarily found in green leafy vegetables, with kale and spinach topping the list. Also the supplements as suggested by doctor.
- Organic ginger juice -1 Tablespoon spoon (Grate and squeeze)
- Organic white onion juice-1 tablespoon (Grate and squeeze)
- Fresh lemon juice- 1 spoon
- Honey-3 Teaspoons
Method: Mix well and filter with a fine sieve or cloth. Store in a small glass bottle with a dropper. This should be refrigerated. Use this mixture as eye drops Use 1 drop twice a day in the morning and evening in both the eyes. This is also available as “Dristhi” eye drops in Patanjali pharmacy outlets. Also rose petals water also helps.
Saffron: Adding around 20 mg of high quality saffron per day. You can make food or herbal tea.
Exercise: These are recommended by my Ophthalmologist and loved ones
- Anulm vilom: Practicing this nasal breathing controlled pranayama on a daily basis also promotes eyesight, keeping it healthy and clear.
- Mustard Oil: Massage the soles and toes of foot daily. This is the effective eye care treatment.( By my grandmom and ayurvedic doctor)
- Splash water with mouth full: Fill your mouth with water; close your eyes and splash cold water onto your eyes. It stimulates the muscles of the eyes, due to the pressure exerted by the water filled in your mouth. The splatter of cold water on your face helps cheer up the nerve endings and feel awesome. ( By doctor, dad, Yoga instructor)
- Sit in a comfortable posture.
- Rub the palms against each other until you feel they are warm.
- Properly position your hands on your face. Cover the closed lids with the palms of the hands (the fingers being crossed upon the forehead) in such a way as to avoid pressure on the eyeballs..
- Check the position of your hands. …
- Breathe deeply.
- Shut your eyes
- Now squeeze
- Repeat this
- Repeat this process 6 or 7 times
- Imagine a figure eight about 10 feet in front of you on the wall.
- Slowly, trace the figure eight with your eyes,.
- Trace it in clockwise direction for a one minute and then trace it the anticlockwise for another minute.