With a balanced and nutritious meal, I love serving crisp, tangy vegetables to lighten things up. Here comes the recipe for vegetables that can be served as a side, starter or with the main course.
Carrots, Cauliflower, Turnips pickle
- Carrots cut into 1½ inch pieces- 500 grams
- Cauliflower -500 grams
- Turnips – 500 grams
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 cup
- Cloves 8-10
- Black cardamoms 3
- One-inch cinnamon piece
- Xylitol or sugar substitute (Low carb diet ) or Grated jaggery 1 cup
- Vinegar 3 tablespoons
- Olive or Mustard oil 3/4 cup
- Coarsely grated ginger 4 tablespoons
- Coarsely grated garlic 2 tablespoons
- Ginger-garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Mustard powder 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Salt 1 1/2 tablespoons
- To make spice powder, dry roast cumin seeds, cloves, black cardamoms and cinnamon in a non-stick pan. Cool and grind to a powder.
- Place Xylitol or jaggery in a bowl, add vinegar and mix.
- Wash, wipe and peel turnips, slice them as per your desired size. Separate cauliflower into medium florets. Mix them with carrot in a large bowl. Spread on a paper towel for 2-3 hours so that its all the water is dried up completely.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan till it begins to smoke. Add grated ginger and grated garlic and saute. Add ginger-garlic paste and continue to saute for 8-10 minutes or till they turn brownish.
- Add xyltiol or jaggery and vinegar mixture and cook till jaggery melts.
- Add red chill powder, mustard powder, spice powder, salt and mix well.
- Add vegetables little by little and keep mixing. Switch off heat.
- Cool and store in glass jar and enjoy.
- You can have it right away.