When I found the cleaned and cut lotus stem in farmers market I could not resist buying. Crispy Lotus roots dish is a very healthy appetizer as this root is rich in vitamins. Normally in restaurants they deep fry with cornstarch. I tried without frying and cornstarch and trust me it came out great.
Here is the recipe:
Macros 100-gram serving of lotus root
Protein 3 grams
Carbohydrate 17 grams (including 5 grams of fiber)
Ingredients ( For baking the root)
2 large lotus roots
2 teaspoon olive oil or sesame oil
1 tsp of ground black pepper
1/2- 3/4 tbsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine the slices of the root in 1 tbsp oil, black pepper, salt in bowl.
- Mix with hands until roots are evenly covered with oil and seasonings.
- Brush baking sheets with olive oil.
- Place slices in a single layer on the baking sheet over a tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes and check for ones that are browning rapidly.
- Put the baking tray in the oven and repeat the process of checking and removing
- The entire process can take 30-35 minutes depending on your oven and how thin are slices of the lotus root.
Ingredients ( For the sauce)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil or oil of your choice
- 1 cup Onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Grated Fresh Ginger and garlic
- 2 tablespoons Thinly Sliced spring onions
- 1 cup chopped colored peppers
- 4 tablespoons dark soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Hot Chili Sauce
- Pinch of Xylitol or stevia (Optional)
- Toasted peanuts (Optional for garnishing)
- Heat a wok and pour in oil, add in the ginger and garlic, sauté for 1 minute.
- You can add sesame seeds if you want.
- Once ginger garlic is cooked, add in onions, and rest of the veggies.
- Saute on high heat. Once it is turn crispy, you can add the sauce mixture slowly. Add xylitiol or sweetner if you wants sweet and tangy taste.
- Keep stirring till it turns thick.
- Once the saucet is done add the baked lotus roots.Sprinkle the toasted peanuts, and spring onions and give it a stir.
- Serve hot.