With Halloween around the corner, I have been craving to see these beautiful pumpkins . Being Himachali with my taste buds; I don’t crave for pumpkin pies or desserts but -what my grandma used to cook in this season…sweet and sour yellow pumpkin. An easy, delicious, minus onions and garlic that you find in most recipes. The unique kick here comes the smoky charcoal flavor with mustard oil.
Pumpkin (Glycemic index 75; Glycemic Load 4.3): You can safely include pumpkin in your glycemic index diet thanks to its low-glycemic load of 4.3. This food is an excellent source of vitamins A and C as well as fiber. It’s also wonderfully sweet and can be used in everything from soups to healthy desserts.
Ingredients for Khatta Meetha Kaddu Recipe
- Red Pumpkin 500 grams
- Red Chilies
- Ghee or mustard oil 15 ml
- Paanch Phoran (five spice” blend that is delicious as a rub for added to Indian stews)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon nigella seeds (also called black cumin or kalonji)
1½ teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 tablespoon
- Ginger cut into thin strips 1 inch stick
- Red chili powder 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Xylitol or low calories sweetener-as per taste
- Vinegar or Lemon juice 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped 2 tablespoons
- Charcoal piece ( for smoking)
- Peel the pumpkin and cut into pieces.
- Heat oil or ghee in a a wok.
- Add Paanch phoran, dry red chilies.
- Add dry spices- salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, ginger, red chili powder and mix.
- Add in pumpkin pieces and mix.
- Add little water, cover and cook on medium flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Add sweetener, lemon juice or white vinegar.
- Cover and cook further on medium heat for 8-10 minutes. The pumpkin pieces should get mushy.
- After smoking garnish with coriander leaves.
Smoking the Pumpkin (dhuni)
Dhuni is flavoring technique wherein, the mustard oil is poured over a piece of burning coal and is placed in the cooked pumpkin wok and covered for some time to give the smoky flavor.
- 100gm of raw pumpkin Calories26
- Fat 0.1g Carbs 6.5g Protein1g