Homemade mommy made- cookies from scratch is the surest way to control the ingredients and quality of the product.
These egg-less cookies are gluten-free, and have great taste and texture, like gourmet cookies. The flour is entirely chickpea. The cardamom and butter adds awesome essence. A little extra vanilla, chocolate or your favorite flavor wouldn’t hurt things either. All your choice. These are really good!
Chickpea flour is remarkably versatile and has a delicate flavor, which makes it great for cooking savory dishes as well as for baking sweet desserts. Beyond the health benefits, Cuisines from all over the world use chickpea flour as a staple. This is a modified version of Nankhatai – traditional Indian cookies that are made with plain flour and clarified butter. These are perfect to enjoy with a cup of warm milk, hot coffee, or tea. You can pack this as a snack for kids lunches (Nut free schools- avoid almonds).
- 2.5 cups Chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon green cardamom powder or vanilla essence or the flavor of your choice
- 1 cup of Glucon-D or agave nectar/maple syrup
- ½ stick butter or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- few almonds- chopped finely or any other nuts or cacao nibs
- ¼ cup yoghurt or almond milk or regular milk
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius.
- Sift together gram flour, baking powder and cardamom powder in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix Glucon D or sweetener, butter and mix well.
- Add the gram flour mixture to it bit by bit and mix well till everything is blended together.
- Add yoghurt or milk little by little to make a nice and soft dough.
- Cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate this mix for about 25-30 minutes.
- Take the mixture and divide it into medium sized balls. With your palm, gently flatten them and place them on a baking tray.
- Press almonds on the top lightly. You can use any other nuts or chocolate chips
- keep some space between them as they expand while baking.
- Bake for about 15 minutes. Cool them on room temperature.You can also transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before serving (they harden as they cool).
- Store in an airtight container.