“I always wondered why babies spend so much time sucking their thumbs. Then I tasted baby food.”
We are super blessed with the most modest, lively, food loving princess. According to me, the best gift we could ever do for a child is to spend quality time with them and cook homemade foods from scratch for little bundles of joy.
Yes we all are busy, and it’s easy to open a pre-packed food, puree for our kids and feed it. I just wonder if I make apple puree can I keep it for good 6 months. No way! What are we feeding our little ones? Did we ever tried exploring those colorful packages and see almost as many artificial colors hidden in the ingredients?
Let’s take out time and make a multi grain cereals together. Trust me its super easy, complete meal and almost all kids love it. Since the ingredients are already washed, dried, and roasted they get cooked fast, soft on tummy. Just blending it in soup of your choice or water and cook.
- 2 tablespoon quinoa
- 2 tablespoon yellow lentils- skins removed
- 2 tablespoon Pink lentils
- 2 tablespoon Green gram split lentils
- 2 tablespoon rice
- 1 tablespoon oats
- 1 tablespoon barley
- Pinch Cumin seeds
- Pinch Carom seeds
- Pinch fenugreek
- ½ teaspoon flax/chia seeds
All the ingredients are optional, you can add or remove as per taste.
- Wash everything together nicely rubbing with your palms until you see the clear water.
- Drain off completely in a colander. Spread the grains in a large tray or baking tray.
- Keep in sun light for drying up. Alternatively, you can use drying in fan or in oven.
- After sun drying, dry roast on a wok or a pan or oven. Keep tossing unless you feel some nice fragrant aromas.
- You should not overcook it. This helps a kind of texture which is gentle on tummy
- Let it cool.
- Grind into a powder. Your multigrain cereal is ready
- You can boil 1/2 to 1 cup of water depending on your child’s diet and mix the cereal till it boils. If this powder is ready, making baby’s food is super easy. Since the ingredients are already soaked and roasted they get cooked fast. Just stir it in water and cook.
- You can boil with some soups also (spinach,tomato) add clarified butter if your kids like.
- Its ready, yummilicious!!!
You can store this cereal powder over a month.